Masters in Nutrition
The concept of nutrition deals with understanding substances in foods that affect the human body. In recent years, nutrition has played a vital role in everyone’s lives many people have been extremely conservative of what they are feeding their bodies. Study Masters in Nutrition abroad to embark on a career that provides you with first-hand knowledge to get going in this massively evolving industry.
In recent years, it is observed that many individuals are pursuing for this post-graduation program. One of the primary reasons is that there is an upsurge in the value of this profession. Masters in Nutrition is doing extremely well in foreign countries. Students from all over the world are applying for this program to obtain information that is especially beneficial if you are trying to gain a designation in big firms. Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics is a popular degree of this field. If you are person who has an emerging interest in diets, food, culture and nutrients, consider studying this course abroad. As this is your ultimate chance for understanding the profession of nutrition with bigger and better examples.
Masters in Nutrition Course Details:
- The time span of this course is typically 1 to 2 years
- MSc and MA are preferred graduation titles for this subject
- Specializations of Nutrition and Dietetics: Eating Disorder, Nutrition in Health and Disease, Public Health Nutrition, Sport Nutrition
- Skills to become a Nutritionist or dietitian : Communication skills, Research skills, Computer knowledge, Organizational and Administration skills, and Risk Management
- Registered Nutrition dietitian (RND) is a newly introduced designation that focuses on broad aspects of wellness and treatment
- Masters in Nutrition course is also offered by universities online
Masters in Nutrition Syllabus:
- Pathophysiology and Metabolism in Disease
- Nutrition in Critical Care
- Dietary Intake and Nutritional Assessment
- Nutrition and Food Science
- Community and Public Health Nutrition
- Food Science and Innovation
Masters in Nutrition Prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition is preferred/ Other Bachelor’s Degree are also accepted
- English Proficiency Test: IELTS or TOEFL
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
Points to know before pursuing Masters in Nutrition abroad:
- Nutritionist and dietitian are different from one another
- Nutrition professionals do not necessarily require a degree to work as Nutritionist because the designation is not recognized a profession by most countries
- Dietitian is a professional who advises patients on what to eat/consume that is directed towards a specific goal
- Every country has a different certificate that allows individuals to practice the profession of dietitian
- In many parts of the world, nutritionists require a licence to practice or work professionally
- Dietitians can work as Nutritionists but Nutritionists cannot work as Dietitians
- Do consult or visit a dietitian once before you take this life-changing step
Best countries to pursue Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics
United States of America
One of the top recommended countries for Masters in Nutrition is United States of America. Primary reasons of why you must consider USA include the fact that many universities offer a Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics in USA. You can choose MS in Nutrition or other specializations in this field, also MA in Nutrition is a program that you can consider.
The rigorous science based pedagogy will prepare you with first-hand knowledge. By studying the course here, you will have acquired the opportunity to understand the food culture in this country and also a chance to explore job opportunities as registered dietitian . The Academy of Nutrition and dietitian is responsible for registering or certifying professionals.
Dietitian in USA
- Registered dietitian is legally protected title offered to dietitians in USA
- The title is given to individuals after completing the entrance exam by Commission Dietetic Registration (CDR)
- If you are planning to be a registered dietitian in USA, completion of Dietetic Internship program is necessary
Nutritionist in USA
- Nutritionists do not have a legally guarded title in USA
- Nutritionists are not recognized as certified professionals to treat or prescribe diets
- To work as certified nutritionists, acquiring a licence of Registered dietitian is important
- By pursuing Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics in USA, you can obtain a degree that gives you the liberty of working as ‘Registered Dietitian Nutritionist’
Basic prerequisites to study Masters in Nutrition includes Bachelor’s Degree in any health field, CV/Resume, English Proficiency Test (IELTS or TOEFL), Letter of Recommendation, and Statement of Purpose. Other requirements to study the course will be mentioned on the university website.
Studying in +USA is not cheap, it is important to finalize your funding before moving abroad is US for education. Scholarships and education loans are two options you can highly consider. Finding accommodations in this country is also easy.
Master of Nutrition and Dietetics are offered at several universities in Australia. The educational set up in Australia for this program is meant to equip students with world-class knowledge about Nutrition and Dietetics. Like USA, Australia has its own certificate recognizing dietitians. The dietitians Association of Australia (DAA) is the official council that registers dietitian s willing to work in Australia.
Similar to other countries, Australia accredits students by evaluating their progress in the field. Individuals are eligible to the accreditation process as soon as they complete Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics course in Australia. Also, there are many benefits on being a full-time member in dietitians Association of Australia (DAA)
Dietitian in Australia
- To be Accredited Practising dietitian in Australia, you will need to complete at least 4 years of studies at either Bachelors or Master’s level.
- It is important to become a full-time member of DAA council for acquiring the full rights to be a dietitian in Australia
Nutritionist in Australia
- An accredited degree is not needed to be a Nutritionist in Australia
- Nutritionists are not considered as professionals for health or nutrition related treatments
- Jobs for Nutritionists are quite subordinate in Australia instead, Dietitian title acquired professionals are highly preferred for nutrition and health diagnosis
The basic requirements of Masters in Nutrition in Australia are as follows CV/Resume, Letter of Recommendation, English Proficiency Test (PTE or TOEFL), Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition or health related field and Statement of Purpose. You are advised to visit the university’s specific website for more insight on prerequisites to study this course.
Australia is cheaper in comparison to USA. Accommodations are also vastly available for international students. If you are having doubts on funding for this is enhancing experience considering education loans and applying for scholarships is recommended.
United Kingdom is another country you must consider for studying Masters in Nutrition. There are several great reasons that will convince you for choosing UK for this course. Like other countries, United Kingdom offers a unique course for individuals willing to become full-time registered Dietitian. Scotland and England are best parts of UK to pursue this program.
The Nutrition and Dietetics programs conducted in UK are accredited by British Dietetic Association (BDA). The module followed in UK for Dietitians is a lot more elaborate and easier to understand in comparison to other countries. By studying this course in UK you will gain theoretical and practical knowledge of the field. MSc in Dietetics and Nutrition is the popular post-graduate in UK.
Dietitian in the UK
- To be a practicing dietitian in the UK, you have to be a registered member of the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- The programs conducted in universities for post-graduation are credited by BDA (British Dietetic Association) who are the official recognizing council for dietitian s
- To apply for a Masters in Dietetics, an undergraduate degree in either of the following subjects is necessary: Biochemistry, Biomedical Science, Health Science, Human Nutrition, Nutritional Science and Physiology
Nutritionist in the UK
- To practice nutrition, a specific degree is not needed. Anybody can become a nutritionist as it is not a legally guarded title
- Jobs for Nutritionists is lesser compared to employment opportunities for dietitian s
- If you are an individual willing to improve their knowledge in Nutrition specifically, you can pursue one of the courses offered by the British Nutrition Foundation
Studying in the United Kingdom is enriching. If you are willing to pursue your higher education here, you must note that the cost of study in the UK is not quite cheap. However, this is a thing you do not need to stress about because options like education loans and scholarships are something you can consider for funding your expenses abroad.
Top Universities to pursue Masters in Nutrition:
- NYU Steinhardt, United States of America
- Boston University, United States of America
- Cornell University, United States of America
- The University of Sydney, Australia
- Deakin University, Australia
- University of Chester, United Kingdom
- Coventry University, United Kingdom
Masters in Nutrition Jobs:
- Healthcare Professional
- Nutrition Specialist
- Food Science Specialist
- Nutrition Science Scientist
- Food Science Scientist/Technologist
- Agriculture and Food Science
This course has a lot of potential in terms of careers and the expansion of knowledge. Studying Masters in Nutrition abroad is especially great considering the employment factors and respected designations. Dietetics is something you should absolutely considering learning, especially because you can work with top organizations and also earn an esteemed certification of Registered dietitian . Along with other countless benefits, you will have enhanced your communications skills and many other personality development attributes by studying abroad.