Student Visa Process for The United Kingdom
Education overseas has become more popular than ever. With a wide range of courses introduced in new methods and ideologies at universities, international students are applying to study at top universities. The United Kingdom has always been illustrious for its educational institutions. The universities in this country have developed their sense of knowledge with each year providing more and more knowledge for local and international students.
The United Kingdom has dominated the charts of best education destinations in the world. There are several locations of The UK that are particularly well-known for studies. London is not only a global tourist attraction but it also humongous-ly popular for its universities and archaic buildings. Each year the number of Indian students in the UK keeps ascending. Many Indian students claim to have found excellent job opportunities and a chance of settlement because of choosing to The United Kingdom for higher education.
If you are planning to study in the United Kingdom anytime soon, you are most likely to encounter the student-visa process. The student-visa process is slightly different than a regular visa process. Different in terms of application procedure and extra forms that a student needs to be knowledge-ready.
Planning to study in the UK? Get equipped with Student visa procedure for the United Kingdom –
What type of student visa should one apply for studying the United Kingdom?
The student visa for The United Kingdom is different than that of other European countries. To study in The United Kingdom you will have to apply for a Tier 4 student visa whereas if you want to study in other parts of Europe such as Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, etc. applying for a Long Stay student visa is advised.
There are two types of Tier 4 student visas –
General – For individuals who are 16 and above years that are looking to pursue their higher education in the UK.
Child Student Visa – For individuals who are between the age of 4 to 15 and are looking to acquire their primary/secondary education in the UK.
Important details about the Tier 4 student visa –
- You can only apply for a Tier 4 visa after getting the offer letter or confirmation letter from the university or college situated in the United Kingdom
- Your university or college should provide you a document called ‘Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies’ also known as CAS
- Only institutes, college or university approved by the UK government can provide you the CAS document
When to apply for the Tier 4 student visa?
Indian students with a confirmation letter from the UK based university can start applying for the visa as soon as 3 months from the course start date. You will get notified about the visa decision within maximum 15 days after applying for the student visa.
Can I book my travel tickets to the UK before getting my visa?
Yes, you can book your tickets. However, it is not a necessary step for acquiring the visa – an individual can wait until they receive their Tier 4 visa to book their travel tickets. If in case you are unable to go on the pre-booked date, travel tickets refund is not generated in many cases.
How much does the Tier 4 student visa cost?
The fees for Tier 4 student visa is £348 i.e. INR 30218. You can make the payment through online transaction or demand draft or pay in cash at the visa application center.
Can I arrive in the UK before my course starts?
Yes, you can arrive in the UK before your course starts, if your course is longer than 6 months arriving 1 month before is suitable. In case your course lasts for lesser than 6 months you are allowed to visit the United Kingdom – 1 week before your course begins.
Eligibility criteria for Tier 4 student visa
As an Indian student applying for a student visa to study in the United Kingdom, you need to check if you are qualified to study in the UK by going through the guidelines put forward by the UK government for international students.
Below mentioned is the eligibility criterion to study in the UK for Indian students –
- Offer or Confirmation letter from the UK government college or university
- Enough money to support your education to study in the UK – Proof of Funds
- You should be able to communicate in English – Knowledge of English
- You can apply for Full-Time or Part-Time courses in The United Kingdom universities and colleges
- You are eligible to work on a Tier 4 student visa. 20 hours of work is allowed on the student visa.
Documents required –
As an Indian student with a desire to study in the UK, you are required to provide a set of documents. Our advice would be to maintain a checklist of below-listed documents just so that you don’t miss out submitting any of the documents,
|Completed Visa Application Form|
|Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)|
|Proof of Fund|
|Tuberculosis Test Certificate|
|English Proficiency Test - IELTS or PTE|
|Parental Consent (for individuals below 18 years)|
Student visa procedure –
You will have to follow a few steps that will successfully submit your student visa application for studying in the UK –
STEP 1 – Register
- Visit the official Tier 4 student visa application website
- Go through the list of mentioned criterion to check if you are eligible to study in the UK
- Select the country for providing your Biometrics
- Register or Sign Up by providing details in the prompted boxes
- You can complete this step in 10 minutes
STEP 2 – Documents
- Sign in and attach documents (please refer to list mentioned above)
- You will need your Passport, Birth, Residence, Funding proof, etc. to proceed with the application
- Provide details about your course such as fee structure, CAS letter, Scholarship details, Student loan details, etc.
- This step will require at least 1 hour of your time
STEP 3 – Declaration
- Go through the provided details
- Confirm the attached documents and information by clicking on the ‘I agree’ prompt on the form
STEP 4 – Payment
- Select and schedule a date to visit the visa application center for further process
- Complete the visa application payment
You have successfully submitted your visa application!
Make sure to visit the visa application center and prepare for your visa interview accordingly.
We hope you graduate in flying colors from the UK university, also wishing you future filled with opportunities!